Tips for Preparing Your Home for Sale
- Mow and water regularly.
- Remove garden tools, hoses, toys, and bicycles, especially from the front yard.
- Dress patio furniture to impress with pillows for added warmth to your yard.
- Rake lawn and keep clear of grass trimmings and leaves.
- If you have pets, remove their daily contributions to your lawn.
- Trim lawn edges at walkways and driveways.
- Check decking for any repairs and stain if necessary.
- If you have a sprinkler system - have it serviced.
Tree and Shrub Tips
- Edge all planting beds.
- Replace or freshen up mulch to create a clean/fresh look.
- Remove all dead or ailing bushes and replace with healthy plants.
- Prune bushes and trees so their shapes are well defined.
- Fertilize your shrubs to maintain their healthy look.
- Plant smaller bushes in front of larger existing plants for depth.
- Plant in odd numbered groupings and various colors for contrast.
- Make sure walls are free of fingerprints and smudges.
- Check tiled walls for missing pieces or loose grout.
- Fix large cracks and holes, call a professional if needed.
- Update wall hardware, towel bars, and clothes hooks.
- Choose light, neutral colors for the walls.
- Paint moldings and wainscoting for a fresh clean look.
- Use mirrors to create an illusion of larger spaces.
- Minimize the amount of personal photos on the walls.
- Be sure that beds are made for prospective buyers
- Place all dirty laundry neatly away into hampers.
- Add accent pillows and/or throw blankets to liven up a room.
- Clean the clutter from bedroom closets and neatly fold/arrange clothes for an organized feel.
- Use towels, face clothes, small plants to soften a "cold" bathroom.
- Replace shower curtains and rugs if necessary for a clean/fresh look.
- Be sure all fixtures are clean and in good working order.
- Check that the caulking is tight and not discolored. Replace if necessary.
- Check for proper flushing of toilets and make sure handles are secure.
- Repair or replace loose pipe insulation.
- Have a fire going on cold, wintery days.
- Remove ashes and clean the fireplace when not in use.
- Check fireplace screens for holes and glass for cracks.
- Be sure the mantel and hearth are in good condition.
- Have a professional clean and check the chimney for issues.
- Decorate the mantel with various items to warm up the space.
- Use logs, tools, and equipment as decoration.
- Be sure the appliances to be sold with the home are in good working condition.
- Keep appliances clean during your home selling process, both inside and out.
- Store away small appliances on show days to keep counters uncluttered.
- Have your furnace cleaned and up to date on maintenance.
- Clean windows and sills until they sparkle.
- Make sure all windows move freely.
- Freshen worn or flaky paint on windows and their casings.
- Check awnings and shutters for holes, rips, or missing parts.
- Repair cracked or broken windows and any repair screens if there are holes.
- Open all window treatments fully to allow the greatest amount of light.
- Turn on at least one light in each room, even in the day time.
- Keep windows clear of all clutter or distracting items.
A clean and clutter free home will typically sell faster and for more money.
Want more advice on how to sell YOUR home? Contact The Elaine McDonald Team today!